Monday, November 19, 2012
Game of the Day - Zunzunkyou No Yabou
You shoot at many different types of enemies, but most are human(oid). Dancers and knights and Buddhas and all types of cartoonized weird things. There are some differences in the game play from Space Invaders...
1. You can move your avatar in all directions, not just left & right.
2. The enemies swirl and dive from all around in every direction and often times attack you from underneath.
3. The enemies come in waves - just when you think you've cleared the screen, more appear.
4. The game is split into stages and levels. Several stages that are themed together make up each level.
5. At the end of each level (approx every 4 stages) there is a boss who tries to fuck you up bad.
6. Even before the boss, many of the enemies take more than one hit to vanquish. Some humans first turn to skeletons, then hit them again and they die.
7. You have a second weapon, a bomb. It is operated by button 2 and causes a weird psychedelic effect on the screen and blows (most) everything up.
8. There are power-ups (more bombs, shields, double shot,etc).
Okay, so that's a lot of differences from how Space Invaders plays, but the biggest difference is the wild and goofy graphics and the aggressiveness and difficulty of the enemies.
Easy to learn and quick to play, Zunzunkyou No Yabou has earned its right to have you pronounce its full name (if you can).