Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Book Review - Cybernetrix

The books I read are a weird mix of genres.  I read memoirs, sci-fi, contemporary fiction, business, etc.  I have no real loyalty to any one type of book.  Recently, a book came to my attention from a genre I never heard of called "bizarro".  It's a genre filled with weird, apocalyptic, tragic, zombie/Mad Maxian stuff that has an edge I usually would find a little too far out for my taste.  Anyhoo, a guy named Carlton Mellick III is a prolific writer in this genre that has many books whose titles themselves are completely gross (not to mention the content).  BUT, one of his books is called Cybernetrix and it is a short, quick read that is a parody of the movie Tron.  By the author's own admission, it is his most normal work.  In the book, the characters work together and spend their nights in a quasi-virtual reality that they download their minds into that is just like the world in Tron.  As you can imagine, things go very wrong.  The book is funny, quick-witted and most importantly has a very fun and interesting story arc.  I liked it a lot.  Incidentally,  I have also read one other book by him that was also fun, The Morbidly Obese Ninja.


http://www.amazon.com/Cybernetrix-Carlton-Mellick-III/dp/1933929731/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348611270&sr=8-1&keywords=cybernetrix

No comments:

Post a Comment